Alumni auditing: Spring 2017
Mitchell Hamline is pleased to offer our alumni the opportunity to audit select courses to assist you in learning about a new area of law, to explore a topic in more depth, or simply to expand your knowledge in an area of interest. Courses available for auditing vary by semester based on which courses still have room available after students have completed registration and whether professors have approved including auditors. No skills-based courses are available for auditing due to the nature of the course work.
In addition, courses that are otherwise open to J.D.s or other professionals and that result in a certification are not available for auditing. You may learn more about and register for these courses (each of which has its own start date) at the following links:
- Conflict Resolution Certificate
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Law Certificate
- Certificate in Global Arbitration Law and Practice (in London)
- Health Care Compliance Certificate
- Human Resources Compliance Certificate
- J-Term courses offered by the Dispute Resolution Institute (including Negotiation and Mediation)
- Dispute Resolution in Jerusalem
- J-Term courses offered by the Health Law Institute
- Review course descriptions and professor bios to decide which course you wish to audit from the courses listed in the table below.
- Apply and pay for the course you wish to audit (click on links after table below based on number of academic credits of the course you’re interested in auditing) by no later than Wednesday, Dec. 21 at Noon Central. * IMPORTANT – if no space is available in the course you wish to audit, you will receive a full refund. If you withdraw from a course for which you have been registered before the second class meets, you will receive a refund less a $30 administrative fee.
- Receive an email no later than Friday, Jan. 6 (for classes beginning Jan. 13 or 14) or Wednesday, Jan. 11 (for classes beginning on or after Jan. 19) indicating whether you have been registered, and including information about first assignments, etc. (You can view the book list for any course on the Course List by clicking on the red “BK” link at the far right column of the course you’re interested in auditing.)
*Mitchell Hamline offers its recent alumni (those who graduated two years ago or less) the opportunity to audit one class per academic year at no cost. All other alumni may audit classes at the reduced rate of $150 per academic credit hour (which translates to about $15 per CLE credit if you choose to apply for CLE credit – see details below). If you qualify to apply to audit a course at no charge, email Alison Morris with the name and course number of the course you would like to audit by Wednesday, Dec. 21 at Noon.
Registration for spring semester 2017 runs through Dec. 21 at Noon.
- Spring classes begin Friday, Jan. 13 for weekend classes and Thursday, Jan. 19 for day and evening classes. Academic Calendar
- Mitchell Hamline alumni may audit one course per semester on a space-available basis.
- The following courses are available for spring auditors (listed in order of credit hours):
|Start||End||Rec. room||Day||Academic Per.||Description||Course||Credits||Professor(T)||Start Date|
|0400PM||0555PM||MAIN,123||Wed||2016-2017||Advanced Indian Law||4314||2.00||Jacobson, John||1/19/2017|
|1200PM||0155PM||MAIN,331||Thu||2016-2017||Arbitration Law||3133||2.00||Larson, David||1/19/2017|
|0600PM||0755PM||MAIN,225||Mon||2016-2017||Business Entity Taxation||3670||4.00||Roy, Denise D. J.||1/19/2017|
|1000AM||1135AM||MAIN,331||Mon, Tue||2016-2017||Comparative Law: Japanese Law||3501||3.00||Port, Kenneth||1/19/2017|
|1000AM||1135AM||MAIN,225||Tue, Thu||2016-2017||Constitutional Criminal Procedure||1204||3.00||Radsan, Afsheen John||1/19/2017|
|0400PM||0555PM||MAIN,331||Thu||2016-2017||Corporate Finance||3620||2.00||MacArthur, John S||1/19/2017|
|1000AM||1135AM||MAIN,223||Mon, Wed||2016-2017||Employment Discrimination||3860||3.00||Jordan, Michael||1/19/2017|
|0600PM||0755PM||MAIN,319||Wed||2016-2017||Energy Law||4614||2.00||Bjorklund, Ingrid||1/19/2017|
|0815AM||1130AM||MAIN,123||Sat||2016-2017||Environmental Law||3925||3.00||Lightfoot, Thaddeus||1/14/2017|
|0600PM||0855PM||MAIN,125||Thu||2016-2017||Estate Planning||3990||3.00||Patrick, Dennis||1/19/2017|
|0920AM||1130AM||MAIN,125||Sat||2016-2017||Estates and Trusts Survey||3961||2.00||Goldman, Craig||1/14/2017|
|0600PM||0755PM||MAIN,123||Thu||2016-2017||Family Law Survey||4000||2.00||DeWalt, John (Jack)||1/19/2017|
|0100PM||0415PM||MAIN,240||Sat||2016-2017||Immigration Law||4200||3.00||Pottratz Acosta, Ana||1/14/2017|
|0815AM||1145AM||MAIN,219||Sun||2016-2017||Intellectual Property Survey||5102||3.00||Sandeen, Sharon||1/14/2017|
|0800PM||0955PM||MAIN,231||Tue||2016-2017||International and Comparative IP Law: Patents||5005||3.00||Erstling, Jay||1/19/2017|
|1200PM||0155PM||MAIN,331||Wed||2016-2017||International and Comparative IP Law: Trademarks||5005||3.00||Port, Kenneth||1/19/2017|
|1000AM||1155AM||MAIN,319||Tue||2016-2017||Lawyer as Business Owner||8293||2.00||Fuith, Leanne||1/19/2017|
|1000AM||1155AM||MAIN,123||Thu||2016-2017||Remedies||5270||2.00||Moy, R. Carl||1/19/2017|
|0800AM||0935AM||MAIN,188||Tue, Thu||2016-2017||Secured Transactions||5350||3.00||Singer, George||1/19/2017|
- Make payment and complete application by no later than Wednesday, Dec. 21 at Noon Central.
- Regularly attend class (and contact the professor prior to any missed classes)
- Fully participate in all class activities including small group work, skills exercises, and presentations
- Purchase course materials and complete reading and other assignments
- NOT take final examinations
Mitchell Hamline Bookstore or 651-290-6334.
Other helpful information
Apply for CLE credit According to Rule 5.A.9 of the MN Board of Continuing Legal Education’s CLE Rules: (9) A lawyer shall not receive credit for any course attended before being admitted to practice law in Minnesota, but one so admitted may receive credit of one hour for each 60 minutes actually spent in attendance, for attending for credit or as an auditor, a regular course offered by a law school approved by the American Bar Association. To apply for CLE credit, follow these instructions from Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education. You are responsible for tracking the number of hours you attend class.
Each credit translates into about 14 hours of class time, so for a 2 credit class, assume about 28 hours of class time, etc.