Alumni auditing: Fall 2017
Mitchell Hamline is pleased to offer our alumni the opportunity to audit select courses to assist you in learning about a new area of law, to explore a topic in more depth, or simply to expand your knowledge in an area of interest. Courses available for auditing vary by semester based on which courses still have space available after students have completed registration and whether professors have approved including auditors. No skills-based courses are available for auditing due to the nature of the course work.
In addition, courses that are otherwise open to J.D.s or other professionals and that result in a certification are not available for auditing. You may learn more about and register for these courses (each of which has its own start date) at the following links:
- Conflict Resolution Certificate
- Cybersecurity and Privacy Law Certificate
- Certificate in Global Arbitration Law and Practice (in London)
- Health Care Compliance Certificate
- Human Resources Compliance Certificate
- J-Term courses offered by the Dispute Resolution Institute (including Negotiation and Mediation)
- Dispute Resolution in Jerusalem
- J-Term courses offered by the Health Law Institute
- Review course descriptions and professor bios to decide which course you wish to audit from the courses listed in the table below.
- Apply and pay for the course you wish to audit (click on links after table below based on number of academic credits of the course you’re interested in auditing) by no later than August 2. * IMPORTANT – if no space is available in the course you wish to audit, you will receive a full refund. If you withdraw from a course for which you have been registered before the second class meets, you will receive a refund less a $30 administrative fee.
- Receive an email by August 11 indicating whether you have been registered, and including information about first assignments, etc. (You can view the book list for any course on the Course List by clicking on the red “BK” link at the far right column of the course you’re interested in auditing.)
*Mitchell Hamline offers its recent alumni (those who graduated two years ago or less) the opportunity to audit one class per academic year at no cost. All other alumni may audit classes at the reduced rate of $150 per academic credit hour (which translates to about $15 per CLE credit if you choose to apply for CLE credit – see details below). If you qualify to apply to audit a course at no charge, email Alison Morris with the name and course number of the course you would like to audit by August 2.
Registration for Fall semester 2017 runs through August 2 and is now closed.
- Fall classes begin Friday, Aug. 11 for weekend classes and Thursday, Aug. 17 for day and evening classes. Academic Calendar
- Mitchell Hamline alumni may audit one course per semester on a space-available basis.
- The following courses are available for fall auditors (listed in order of credit hours):
|Arbitration Law||3133||2.00||505030||Larson, David||Mon||10-1155 am|
|Arbitration Skills||3134||1.00||505030||Larson, David||Tue||2-355 pm|
|Business Organizations||2000||4.00||504436||Ainsworth, Louis||M,W||2-355 pm|
|Business Organizations||2000||4.00||505863||McCluskey, Glen||Tu,Th||6-755 pm|
|Business Regulation and Compliance||2020||3.00||505117||Etzwiler, Nancy||Tue||6-850 pm|
|Copyright Law||3610||3.00||473219||Port, Kenneth||Tu,W||2-335 pm|
|Corporate Accounting & Financial Reporting||2018||2.00||505253||Stinson, Richard||Tue||6-755 pm|
|Criminal Procedure – Minnesota Practice||3804||2.00||504984||Tennison, Cory||Sun||1-310 pm|
|Electronic Discovery||3553||3.00||414262||Tostrud, Eric||Tu,Th||6-735 pm|
|Environmental Law||3925||3.00||487711||Lightfoot, Thaddeus||Mon||6-855 pm|
|Estate and Gift Taxation||8103||3.00||505485||Sampson, Michael||M,W||6-735 pm|
|Estates & Trusts||3960||3.00||500707||Grose, Carolyn||Tu,Th||12-155; 12-1255|
|Evidence||2500||3.00||488507||Radsan, Afsheen John||Tu,Th||8-955 am; 9-955 am|
|Evidence||2500||3.00||415174||Morrow, James||Sun||815-1130 am|
|Family Law Survey||4000||2.00||504693||Fehn, Jada||Sun||920-1130 am|
|Federal Indian Law||4313||3.00||504203||Routel, Colette||M,W||2-335 pm|
|Health Law Quality and Liability||3035||3.00||505031||Pope, Thaddeus||Tu,Th||2-335 pm|
|Immigration Law||4200||3.00||505834||Pottratz Acosta, Ana||Tu,Th||2-335 pm|
|Income Tax||2600||4.00||421777||Roy, Denise D. J.||M,W||12-155 pm|
|Land Use Planning||4833||3.00||504994||Thomson, Jim||Tu,Th||8-935 am|
|Mediation||3040||3.00||468799||Gourlay, Aimee||Tue||9-1150 am|
|Medical Malpractice||4830||2.00||424162||Hallberg, Mark||Wed||4-555 pm|
|Modern Real Estate Transactions||4930||3.00||501313||Edwards, Mark||Tu,Th||4-535 pm|
|Patent Law I||5001||3.00||417512||Moy, R. Carl||Tue||6-855 pm|
|Patent Prosecution||5002||2.00||504250||Grathwol, Timothy A.||Thu||6-755 pm|
|Remedies||5270||2.00||417512||Moy, R. Carl||Thu||10-1155 am|
|Secured Transactions||5350||3.00||505022||Blair, Allen||Thu||6-850 pm|
|Trademark Law||5502||3.00||473219||Port, Kenneth||M,Tu||10-1135 am|
Please have course name, course number, and number of credits for the course you’re interested in auditing. (Applications are no longer being accepted.)
- Make payment and complete application by no later than August 2.
- Regularly attend class (and contact the professor prior to any missed classes)
- Fully participate in all class activities including small group work, skills exercises, and presentations
- Purchase course materials and complete reading and other assignments
- NOT take final examinations
Mitchell Hamline Bookstore or 651-290-6334.
Other helpful information
Apply for CLE credit According to Rule 5.A.9 of the MN Board of Continuing Legal Education’s CLE Rules: (9) A lawyer shall not receive credit for any course attended before being admitted to practice law in Minnesota, but one so admitted may receive credit of one hour for each 60 minutes actually spent in attendance, for attending for credit or as an auditor, a regular course offered by a law school approved by the American Bar Association. To apply for CLE credit, follow these instructions from Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education. You are responsible for tracking the number of hours you attend class.
Each credit translates into about 14 hours of class time, so for a 2 credit class, assume about 28 hours of class time, etc.