Clerking for a judge is a great first step after law school because:
- Judicial clerks have a unique opportunity to observe and understand the legal process from a judge’s perspective.
- Clerks sharpen their legal skills, by researching and writing for a judge and observing lawyers engaged in litigation.
- The experience judicial clerks gain increases their confidence as practicing lawyers and increases their marketability to future employers.
- Clerks are exposed to many areas of the law, which can help them select practice areas of interest.
- The position opens doors in the legal community. Judicial clerks typically develop close relationships with their judges, who can serve as important references in the future. They also become acquainted with lawyers in that community who practice before their judges.
Find profiles of judges on the following pages:
Fourth District Judges (serving Hennepin County)
Second District Judges (serving Ramsey County)
For more opportunities, review the resources below:
Minnesota Judicial Branch Employment Opportunities (including District Court clerkships)