Minnesota Department of Human Rights (“MDHR”): The Minnesota Department of Human Rights (MDHR) is a cabinet-level state agency that investigates allegations of illegal discrimination, ensures that businesses seeking state contracts affirmatively comply with anti-discrimination requirements, and strives to eliminate discrimination by educating Minnesotans on their rights and responsibilities under the Minnesota Human Rights Act. Our vision is to eradicate discrimination and empower every person in Minnesota with the ability to enjoy all of the benefits of society regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, age, sexual orientation, familial status, and public assistance status.
MDHR Legal Externship Program: Externs will work side-by-side with lead enforcement officers and senior attorneys. The projects assigned to an extern may vary based on the needs of MDHR, but potential projects include drafting and investigating discrimination charges, observing settlement discussions with parties after a probable cause determination has been rendered, and working on various issues within the contract compliance unit. An extern may also participate in cutting-edge research projects by assisting MDHR in developing policy positions and drafting possible legislation. An extern’s research contributes to MDHR’s mission in transforming public policy so that all people in Minnesota are empowered with the ability to contribute to and enjoy the benefits of society.
MDHR anticipates hosting 1-2 externs for the 2018 Spring Semester. Appointments are a semester-long; work hours and start/end dates are flexible.
Minimum Qualifications: The individual in this position must:
• be attending an ABA accredited educational institution in pursuit of a law degree, have completed at least one year of law school at the time the externship begins, and be eligible for externship credits at the respective law school;
• have the ability and desire to serve the MDHR’s office team and its constituents;
• demonstrate a commitment to MDHR’s mission;
• have strong legal research and writing skills;
• have interpersonal skills to effectively communicate application of legal issues; and
• have time management and organizational skills in order to set, monitor, and adjust priorities as needed to accomplish position responsibilities on time.
Application Process: Please provide a resume and cover letter, explaining your interest in externing with MDHR and identifying any relevant completed coursework, to Jennifer Larimore, Associate General Counsel, via email at Jennifer.Larimore@state.mn.us. The vacancy is open until filled; the size and quality of the applicant pool will determine the hiring timeline. We encourage you to apply quickly if you are interested. MDHR will consider only completed applications.