In 1997, Mr. Hailey was appointed as the first African American president of the American Association for Justice. He possesses over 35 years of legal experience and currently handles a wide variety of complex personal injury cases. Mr. Hailey is recognized nationwide as a trailblazer of justice and change. In 2000, Mr. Hailey traveled to South Africa to assist in the initial formation of the South African Trial Lawyers Association, which was the first organized bar in South Africa after it approved its new constitution under President Mandela. The Minority Caucus of the AAJ honors the accomplishments and trial advocacy skills of Mr. Hailey by providing annual scholarship.
This May, AAJ’s Minority Caucus will award one $5,000 scholarship to a minority law student who is entering his or her 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year of law school. By awarding one deserving student the Richard D. Hailey Scholarship, we hope to accommodate a student of color by providing financial assistance to further develop his or her educational growth.
Applicants for the scholarship should demonstrate the following criteria:
- Exhibit a strong interest in trial advocacy;
- Express a desire to represent those who have been injured by negligence or misconduct of others;
- Promote accountability and safety;
- A commitment to AAJ and dedication to its mission through involvement in the AAJ student chapter and Minority Caucus activities; and
- A financial need for the scholarship.
Each application must include the following:
- A resumé;
- A 500-word essay explaining how you meet the scholarship’s criteria;
- Up to three (3) letters of recommendations from a faculty adviser, trial advocacy professor, dean, AAJ member, or trial lawyer; and
- A completed form verifying your student status. See Attached Form.
Please Note: Every applicant must be an AAJ law student member (https://www.justice.org/membership/join-american-association-justice) and enrolled in an ABA accredited law school. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For all students who apply, please note that following the announcement of the winning scholarship recipient, he or she must attend the AAJ Annual Convention in San Diego, California from July 27th – 30th to receive the award. Travel and accommodations will be provided.
Please submit all membership applications to:
AAJ Membership Department
777 6th Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
***The deadline to apply has been extended to May 15, 2019.