On-Campus Interviews are right around the corner – the application period, also known as “bidding”, opens next week! If you are interested in participating in On-Campus Interviews (OCI) this fall, or not sure if OCI is for you, please read this important information. There are key dates relating to OCI very quickly approaching. Please read all the way through and contact your Career Counselor or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
SAVE THE DATES
- July 1: Application Period (“Bidding”) Opens at 9am on Symplicity.
- July 9, 4:30 – 6pm: Student Panel in Room 225 (learn tips on navigating and succeeding in the OCI process). RSVP in Symplicity under workshops.
- July 16: Deadline to submit your resume/application materials to your Career Counselor to ensure timely review.
- July 23, 5pm: Meet the Employers Reception at Mitchell Hamline (Employers participating in OCI will be on campus to meet with students and answer questions about their organizations in advance of the bidding deadline and interviews). It is particularly important to attend this event if you plan to participate in OCI. Please make every effort to be there and come prepared to introduce yourself to our employers. RSVP in Symplicity under workshops.
- July 25 at 11:59pm: Application (“Bidding”) Deadline
- July 29-30: Mock Interviews available at different times. Sign up in Symplicity under workshops.
- August 6: Interviews begin and continue through August at MHSL. Employers’ interview schedules are set, so it is important to make every effort to be in town and available on the scheduled interview day for the employer(s) of interest to you.
What is OCI?
On-Campus Interviews, or OCI, generally refers to the time period in early fall when employers come to law school campuses to interview students for law clerk and attorney positions. Although Mitchell Hamline welcomes employers to campus for recruiting purposes throughout the year, each year we typically host 30-40 employers on campus during OCI.
Which Employers Participate in OCI? What Types of Positions are Available?
Many of the employers are medium or large law firms who will interview students for summer clerkships, which sometimes can culminate with an offer for post-graduation employment. Other employers may include smaller firms, corporations, or government entities, and there are a number of opportunities for post-graduation attorney positions. Employers may use OCI to hire for either summer clerkships or attorney positions, so it is important to read each employer’s description carefully.
Keep in mind that while OCI is the only way that certain employers hire, it is not the only way to secure employment. Most employers do not use Fall OCI to hire, because their hiring patterns do not fit within a fall-only hiring season.
You can view a sampling of employers participating in OCI at Mitchell Hamline this year on our website, including employers seeking candidates for offices in Greater Minnesota and in other states, or view a complete listing of participating employers on the OCI platform on Symplicity.
Which Students Can/Should Participate in OCI?
OCI is a great opportunity for students interested in working in private practice, government, or business settings, or for students who are still exploring potential career paths.
All currently enrolled students are welcome to apply for positions through OCI, consistent with the criteria indicated by each individual employer. That said, most employers participating in OCI are seeking students who will graduate in 2021 (for law clerk or summer associate positions), or in 2020 (for post-grad attorney positions). You can review employers’ individual eligibility criteria for specific available positions on Symplicity by clicking on OCI on the left-hand side.
- Update your class year as appropriate in Symplicity. To update your class year, log in to Symplicity; click “My Account” (in the red block on the left side of the page); then click on “Academic” and change the class year. Please note this important step. You will not be able to see the employers interviewing your class year until you make this update! If you need help with Symplicity, please contact us at email@example.com or 651-290-6326.
- Because OCI is a competitive process whereby employers seek top candidates, it is important that you avail yourself of all resources available for your preparation, including:
- Review the OCI tab on our website for important information.
- Schedule an appointment with your Career Counselor to ensure your resume and application documents are top-notch. Also, talk with your Counselor about questions you have about interviewing and employer research or any other questions about OCI. You can set up an appointment with your Counselor by emailing your counselor directly or contacting Career and Professional Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-290-6326.
- Sign up for a Mock Interview to hone your interviewing skills. Alumni will come to campus and conduct mock interviews under realistic circumstances. This is a great way to ease any anxiety you may have about interviewing and glean tips from an attorney who regularly interviews associates and law clerks. Sign-up in Symplicity (under workshops).
- Utilize the resources section of the OCI tab on the Career and Professional Development website for additional tips for preparation, interviewing and proper follow-up. Do not forget to write thank you notes to your interviewers!
As always, the staff of Career and Professional Development is available to provide support, advice and resources to help you. If you have questions, please contact your Career Counselor directly or our office at email@example.com or 651-290-6326.