Fall 2018 OCI Important dates
- March 20 at noon– OCI Information Session #1. Video posted below.
- April 17 at noon– OCI Information Session #2. Video posted below.
- July 6– Students check email for OCI updates including details about upcoming events.
- July 9 at midnight– Bidding opens for students on Symplicity. Check Symplicity often for new information!
- July 23– Students submit resumes to counselors for review and feedback before the bidding deadline. Email it directly to your counselor or to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- July 25 at 4 pm, Room 125– Prepare for a successful OCI by attending the student panel.
- July 30 at 5-6:30 pm, Auditorium– Meet the Employers reception. Students should RSVP in Symplicity (under events – workshops).
- August 2– Bidding deadline at midnight.
- August 6 (4-6 pm) and August 7 (noon-2 pm)– Mock interviews with attorneys. Students should RSVP in Symplicity (under events – workshops).
- August 8 at noon – August 10 at noon– Student interview selection period. Login to Symplicity, see if you were offered interviews and reserve your interview timeslots.
- August 14– First interviews.
- September– Interviews continue through September.
Mitchell Hamline students who will graduate in 2019 and 2020 are eligible to participate in the fall 2018 on-campus interview (OCI) program. OCI participants prepare and register in July and August. Interviews begin in August and continue through September. Most of the first interviews occur in August with second interviews typically stretching through August and September.
How OCI works
First, students register in Symplicity by completing or updating their profiles, uploading resumes and other materials requested by employers, and bidding for the employers with whom they want to interview. The deadline for OCI registration and bidding is midnight on Thursday, August 2, 2018. Registration and bidding are required to participate in OCI.
Next, the employers review the materials from students who have bid for them and select the students they wish to interview. Students check Symplicity often to see if they have been offered an interview by an employer. If offered an interview, the students select an interview time at Mitchell Hamline via Symplicity. The interviews are typically 20-30 minutes long.
After students interview with employers at Mitchell Hamline, employers notify students directly if they have been selected for the much longer “call back” interview. The “call back” takes place at the employer’s office and typically lasts two to four hours. It often involves a series of interviews and a meal. The employers then determines who will receive offers of employment and contact students directly. Please note that some employers have a slightly different process.
Deciding whether or not to participate? Consider this …
OCI is the only way that certain employers hire. In particular, large firms will use OCI to hire 2020 graduates for their formal summer associate programs, from which they usually look to hire their new associates. These firms often set required or preferred grades, class ranks, and other expectations.
Other OCI employers include smaller firms, public employers (such as the Ramsey County Attorney’s office), companies, and certain judicial clerkships. These employers often do not emphasize grades and other measures as much as the large firms. Some of these employers are looking to hire 2019 graduates as new associates or judicial clerks. Others are looking for 2020 graduates, either as summer associates, summer-only clerks or summer-only interns.
Historically, about 10 percent of Mitchell Hamline students find employment through on-campus interviewing. Most employers do not use OCI to hire because their hiring patterns do not fit within a fall-only hiring season.
Check the OCI Section in Symplicity often for the list of employers registered for OCI. The list will be updated on Symplicity as additional employers register…so check it frequently!
How to participate in OCI
Step 1: Be prepared and informed!
Watch or Attend the Information Sessions!
- March 20 at noon, Room 223- Nuts and Bolts of OCI. Did you miss this session? Watch a video here
- April 17 at noon, Room 125- Are OCI Employers the Right Fit for Me? Did you miss this session? Watch a video here
Check Your Email & The Docket
- Throughout the summer you will receive emails and reminders of important dates.
- July 6- Look for an important OCI update including sign-ups and event details.
- The Docket will also have reminders throughout the summer and fall.
Update your profile in Symplicity
To participate in OCI, you must update your class year to 2L or 3L in Symplicity. To update your class year, log in to Symplicity. Next, go to “My Account” (in the red block on the left side of the page). Then, click on “Academic” and change the class year. You will not be able to see the employers interviewing your class year until this is updated. Symplicity performs best using Firefox or Chrome. Internet Explorer is not an ideal browser for Symplicity.
Also, you must have an approved resume in Symplicity prior to the bidding deadline. Please submit your resume early and plan accordingly.
If you need help with Symplicity or have questions about OCI, please contact Career and Professional Development at email@example.com or 651-290-6326.
Remember to check Symplicity and this website often throughout the OCI process.
Make it a habit to login to Symplicity frequently. Check Symplicity for employers that may be added throughout the bidding period and beyond. Be on the lookout for invitations to interview or messages from employers. Also, check the this website for important announcements.
Attend the OCI Tips and Student Panel on July 25, 2018 at 4 pm.
A panel of students, who all obtained a summer clerkship through OCI, will share their general advice about how to best prepare for a successful OCI process. Our staff and student panelists will also be available to answer your questions.
Watch a video of last year’s panel here: vimeo.com/227167088/de55c2a1c1
Step 2: Refine
Refine the written materials requested by employers: resume, cover letter, writing sample, reference list.
If you have not uploaded a resume in Symplicity yet, upload it by July 23, 2018 to guarantee review by a career counselor. If you have uploaded your resume previously and want a second review of your resume or any of your other application materials reviewed, please contact Career and Professional Development at careers @mitchellhamline.edu or 651-290-6326. Or, contact your counselor directly. We strongly recommend you meet with your counselor prior to submitting your application documents! To participate in OCI, you must have a resume approved and loaded in Symplicity prior to the bidding deadline. Plan ahead.
Step 3: Research
Search firm websites, the NALP Directory, Martindale, and local newspaper sites for firms in the news. Some information to research: number of attorneys employed, clients, practice groups, diversity, attorney bios (who do they attract?), male/female ratio, work-life balance, impression the website gives, billable hours, and professional development for attorneys.
The Symplicity OCI Section will continually be updated as new employers register—you are responsible for checking this regularly.
Use Symplicity to view the OCI employers looking for students in your class year and to see their hiring criteria and requirements. If your class year (1L/2L/3L) is incorrect on your Symplicity profile, you will not be able to view the correct employers or make bids. Please be sure your student profile is updated (see Step 1 for instructions).
Step 4: Register
Register for the first phase of OCI no later than midnight on Thursday, August 2, 2018.
Apply via Symplicity to all of the firms of interest to you. You can bid for a maximum of twenty employers in the first phase. Keep in mind that if you get twenty interviews (very unlikely!), you will be required to participate in all of them.
To register, first upload in Symplicity your resume and other materials requested by the employers. Then, select the employers you are bidding for via Symplicity. By registering, you agree to abide by the Student Participation Agreement.
You can change your bids and upload different resumes and materials until midnight on August 2, 2018. After this deadline, Symplicity will prevent further changes or bids.
Step 5: Attend the “Meet the Employers” reception
Monday, July 30, 2018, 5–6:30 pm in the Auditorium at Mitchell Hamline.
Students should RSVP in Symplicity (under Events – Workshops).
- Learn more about the OCI employers by talking with their attorneys. Be sure you have prepared in advance by researching employers and formulating thoughtful questions.
- Show your enthusiasm and interest in specific employers.
- Make a lasting and positive impression. Employers often take notes on candidates they meet that impress them. Wear professional business attire.
Step 6: Prepare for interviews.
Make use of the resources available to you:
- Appointment with your career counselor: Meet with your counselor to help you prepare. Schedule a resume or cover letter review, mock interview, question and answer time, or a combination of any of these elements. Sign up by contacting Career and Professional Development at careers @mitchellhamline.edu or 651-290-6326. Or, contact your career counselor directly.
- Mock Interviews with attorneys on August 6-7, 2018: 20 minute interviews followed by 10 minutes of critique. Sign up for one time slot under workshops in Symplicity.
- Consult the tip sheets and resources below.
- Show up for your interviews prepared. Always arrive early!
Step 7: Stay informed!
During OCI, be sure to check Symplicity often to see if you have been offered an interview by an employer. Also, be sure to carefully monitor your email and voicemail in case an employer contacts you to offer a callback interview or an job offer!
If you receive or accept an offer for employment, please be sure to report it to the Career and Professional Development Office or your career counselor. If you do not receive any offers through the OCI process, do not be discouraged! There are many other opportunities available. Your counselor is available to provide advice and guidance.
- The Infomercial: Tell Me About Yourself
- Interview Dress
- Mock Interview Tips
- Researching Employers
- Sample Behavioral Interview Questions
- Sample Employer Interview Questions
- The Call-Back Interview