The Ethel Curry American Indian Leadership Scholarship (ECS) is an annual award administered by the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE). This scholarship is meant to aid American Indian students in their pursuit of higher education opportunities. Awards generally range from $1000-$5000 per academic year, but may vary. The scholarship is open from March 1 to May 31 annually.
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be an enrolled member of a federally recognized tribe
- Be accepted into an accredited college or university in the state of Minnesota
- Be pursuing an associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree, or be pursuing a diploma or certificate in a career-specific program
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 if applying as an undergraduate
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 if applying as a graduate
- Not be related to a current MDE employee
Submitting an Application
If the above qualifiers are met, download the application packet and thoroughly review the required items. Submissions are accepted beginning on March 1. All of the required items outlined within the application packet must be submitted together in one email. Incomplete submissions and/or submissions received after the May 31 deadline are not considered.
- The Ethel Curry American Indian Leadership Scholarship Application – 2/16/22
This application is a fillable form and must be downloaded prior to use. Applicants who are not able to use fillable forms may print the application and fill it out by hand. Applications must be submitted March 1 – May 31.