Facilities and Security Department
The mission of the MHSL Facilities and Security Department is to support students, faculty and staff by providing a physical environment that is well maintained, clean, comfortable, and conducive to learning, teaching and working.
Students receive emergency alerts and weather-related or other campus closing notifications via their @mitchellhamline.edu email address from the School’s e2campus emergency notification system.
Students can add an additional email address that will receive notifications and sign up to receive alerts via text messaging on the demographics section of their Student Records page.
Accidents and Injuries on Campus
All accidents and injuries on campus should be reported to the on-duty security officer as soon as possible. The on-duty security officer may be reached by phone at 651-290-6330 or 651-227-9171 or by radio at 651-224-8763. There are first aid kits available at the Information/Security Desk at the front (Summit Avenue) entrance and in Student Services.
Emergency Procedures for Fires
- Pull the nearest fire alarm box. This will sound alarms in the building and cause all fire and smoke barrier doors to close automatically.
- Evacuate people a safe distance away from the fire area.
- If the fire is outside your room and the door or exit is hot, stay in the room, stay low, open a window for fresh air, and if you are able, call 911 or security to report your location. If there is no phone available, call out for help.
- If the fire is out of control, immediately exit the building, do not use the elevators. If there is anyone in the area that needs assistance evacuating the building, notify Security immediately.
- As soon as you are in a safe place, contact Security by phone at 651-290-6330 or 651-227-9171 or by radio at 651-224-8763, to advise them on the type and status of the fire.
- The fire department will advise Security if and when the building can be safely re-entered. You may not re-enter the building until the fire department gives the all clear.
- Report details of the fire to Security immediately after the all clear is given.
- If the law school closes as a result of a fire, the Dean or Dean’s designee will notify the law school community.
Emergency Procedures for Storms
The severe-weather sirens are tested on the first Wednesday of each month at 1 p.m. If, at any other time the emergency sirens activate, proceed as follows:
Immediately proceed to the lower level of the library or the 1931 building. Stay clear of any outside perimeter windows. Remain in the lower level of the library or the 1931 building until the all-clear status is announced by security personnel.
Escort Service and Security
The normal hours of operation for the law school’s Security staff are: Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to midnight; Friday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Sunday from 6:30 a.m. to midnight. A Security officer may be contacted at the Summit Avenue main security desk or by calling 651-290-6330 or 651-227-9171 or by radio at 651-224-8763.
The campus Security department maintains an escort service when the campus is open. A security officer will provide an escort within a 6-block radius of the law school. Students may request an escort by contacting a Security officer at the main security desk. Security escorts are available until 30 minutes before campus building closing time.
All persons are requested to cooperate with a Security officer who asks for identification. All crimes occurring on campus must be reported to the on-duty security officer, who will contact the St. Paul Police Department.