Cyber threats: A growing, complex problem
As the world becomes more digitally interconnected and technologically driven, businesses and consumers are increasingly vulnerable to cyber threats. Regardless your industry, the security of sensitive information is a priority. This program will teach you more than how to maintain a secure system. You will also learn how to effectively manage the risks, and how to quickly and decisively respond to threats from some of the nation’s foremost cybersecurity experts.
This online 13-week program offers working professionals the opportunity to study the complex legal, policy, and compliance challenges resulting from the rapid growth of cyberspace through a comprehensive, interactive portal with online discussions, hands-on exercises, and on-demand lectures. Secure more than your information—secure your place as a cybersecurity expert.
This program is designed for:
- Duration: 13 Weeks
- Delivery: Online, asynchronous, blended learning
- What this means: All lectures are recorded, there are no class sessions; however, there is a live cohort and professors who engage with each other throughout the program.
- Commitment: It is anticipated that participants will spend 4-6 hours a week on this program. Course content will be delivered via recorded video lectures, readings, short assignments, discussions, self-check quizzes, final assessments, and optional content.
- Requirements: To receive the certificate, all required content will need to be completed by the program deadline. Required content will include each courses final assessment (graded pass/fail) and a few assignments and discussions (graded based on participation).
Employ leadership and counseling skills to guide information governance
Perform risk assessments and create an effective incident response plan
Develop a technical understanding of the operation of information systems and security controls
Articulate the standard of care of a business to protect and secure personal information
Analyze and communicate effectively about legal issues related to cybersecurity
Fully online and flexible to fit your schedule
Courses are delivered through the same learning management system we use to deliver our nationally renowned hybrid J.D. program.
- Interact and collaborate with classmates and program faculty
- Join online discussions
- Learn through practical hands-on exercises
- On-demand lectures
- Taught by Mitchell Hamline faculty and national cybersecurity experts
- Take courses sequentially over 13 weeks as part of a cohort to earn your certificate
- Offered twice a year—fall and spring
A program of Mitchell Hamline School of Law
Mitchell Hamline School of Law is an independent, autonomous school that enjoys an affiliation with Hamline University. It is the largest law school in the region, with approximately 1,000 students and 42 full-time faculty. It has nationally ranked offerings in alternative dispute resolution, clinical education, health law, and part-time programs; an array of certificate and dual-degree programs; and an alumni network of more than 19,000—the largest in the region. It also has more enrollment options than any other law school in the country, with full-time, weekend, and part-time programs, including the nation’s first hybrid on-campus/online J.D. program at an ABA-approved law school. In creating the Hybrid Program, which launched in January 2015 and has become extremely popular with students, we advanced best practices in online education. It’s those practices that we’re now adapting for our professional legal education offerings.
Great in theory. Even better in practice.
Qualified participants must hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university or relevant work experience, register and pay deposit by deadline:
- Spring Program registration deadline: January 20, 2017
Tuition is $7,440. Registration deposit is $250 (which will be applied to the total cost of the program). This program does not qualify for federal financial aid.
- Information Privacy Law (3 weeks)
- Information Technology Systems and Security Controls (3 weeks)
- Information Security and Risk Management (3 weeks)
- Incident Response and Recovery (2 weeks)
- Data Breach Liability and Cybercrimes (2 weeks)
“Mitchell Hamline’s Cybersecurity and Privacy Law Certificate Program is a most welcome addition to the current sources of professional legal education. We enrolled a team of six employees in the program (lawyers and non-lawyers alike), and they found its coverage of privacy law, information security risk management, and data breach liability comprehensive, and they appreciated having the opportunity to analyze real-life scenarios that will without question assist with the decisions we are making within our organization. The program has challenged my staff and expanded their knowledge base and skill set. It was much more cost effective than we could do in-house or by piecing together other programs. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who deals with cybersecurity, privacy or information handling issues.”
Andy Ubel, chief intellectual property counsel for Valspar Corp., tells the story of a case of economic espionage at his company and the changes in procedure that followed.
State Eligibility and Complaint Process
Mitchell Hamline School of Law, like all higher education institutions, must follow individual state regulations before enrolling students outside of Minnesota in its online programs. Mitchell Hamline can enroll students residing in most states, but please confirm whether your state is among the eligible states.
Please contact email@example.com, Director of Business Development, Professional Legal Education