Competitions at Mitchell Hamline
Students who participate in Mitchell Hamline’s moot courts and competitions find additional opportunities to practice the skills they’ve learned and gain an understanding of how attorneys function within a particular area of law. Mitchell Hamline participates in various competitions, each featuring a distinct skill important to practicing lawyers. Each competition has its own focus, format, and eligibility standards.
Moot court participation is an excellent opportunity to develop your written and oral advocacy skills, study legal issues in depth, and establish professional relationships with fellow team members, competitors, and coaches.
How to join
Tryouts are facilitated by each competition’s coach(es) and will tentatively be held in September and October 2022. Learn more about each competition and how to contact the coaches by visiting the website pages via the menu on the left.
For any other questions, comments, or concerns, please contact:
- Competitions Director, Erica.Strohl@mitchellhamline.edu
- Competitions Coordinator, Debra.Nelson@mitchellhamline.edu
Request to add competition
After tryouts take place and students are selected to join their respective teams, each participant must submit this form to the Registrar.
Several competitions have decisions pending as to whether their events will be held virtually, over Zoom or a similar platform, or a hybrid virtual/in-person format. Please check each competition’s website for the most up-to-date information.
For more information, please see the official Mitchell Hamline COVID-19 page
Competitions and moot courts planned for 2022–23 (tentative)
(updated as of 9/15/2022)
- American Association for Justice (AAJ) Trial Advocacy Competition [March 2 – 5, 2023 Zoom & Nationals March 30 – April 2, 2023 In Person, City TBD]
- ABA Negotiation Competition [Regional Rounds: October, 2022/In-Person]
- ABA Representation in Mediation Competition [March 2023/In-person]
- Giles Sutherland Rich Intellectual Property Moot Court Competition [Dates & Format TBA Usually in March]
- Health Law Regulatory and Compliance Competition [Dates Format TBA Usually in February/March]
- National Health Law (SIU) Moot Court Competition [Nov. 4-5, 2022/In-person]
- National Native American Law Student Association (NALSA) Moot Court Competition [Dates & Format TBA Usually in March]
- National Patent Drafting Competition (USPTO) [Dates & Format TBA]
- Pace Environmental Moot Court Competition [Feb. 22-25, 2023/Virtual]
- Phillip C. Jessup International Moot Court Competition [Dates & Format TBA Usually in Feb/March]
- Thurgood Marshall Moot Court Competition [Dates & Format TBA]
- TYLA/ACTL Mock Trial Competition [March 30 – April 1, 2023/In Person]
- Uvaldo Herrera National (Hispanic Bar Association) Moot Court Competition [March 9 – 11, 2023/In Person]
- William E. McGee National Civil Rights Moot Court Competition [March 1 – 4, 2023/Virtual]
Participants say …
“Not only was the Jessup an incredible introduction to international law, the competition made me a much stronger and more confident oralist. Our coaches gave us timely and relevant feedback every practice. Even if I do not practice international law, my ability to create a well-reasoned argument and deliver it over Zoom will undoubtedly help in any legal career.
—Katherine Raths ’22, Jessup International Moot Court Competition
“NNALSA Moot Court provided me with not only the space and challenge to grow as an oral advocate but also partners that have become my closest confidants from law school.”
—Annika Sanora ’21, NNALSA Moot Court Competition
“One of the most enjoyable things you can do in law school. The professors drive you to be the best you can and as a competitive person, it gives you that immediate rush that you can’t really get anywhere else in school.”
—Cameron Giebink ’21, NNALSA Moot Court Competition
- Mitchell Hamline students win global negotiation competitionPosted July 6
- Students consider careers using mediation skills after international competitionPosted March 2
- Student wins national “Young Tax Professional of the Year” competitionPosted October 6
- Mitchell Hamline a world champion in International Negotiation CompetitionPosted July 7
- Mitchell Hamline hosts McGee Civil Rights Moot Court CompetitionPosted February 17