Supporting your professional goals before and after graduation
1L Comprehensive Orientation
Through a comprehensive series in your first year, you learn about our services, resources, and what to expect, and is expected, in a legal career, professional development, and job searches.
You are encouraged to work closely with a career advisor throughout your law school career. Within your first semester, you develop your legal resume and receive individualized feedback to polish it. From here, you can work with your advisor one-on-one to further fine tune application documents, prepare a career and professional development plan, mock interview, and more. Your advisor is there with you every step of the way.
2L Guided Planning
In your second year, you fine-tune your career and professional development plan, adjusting it as necessary to ensure you are obtaining the pre-graduation experiences you need to meet your career and professional development goals.
Graduation Transition Meeting
In your final semester of law school, you meet with your advisor for a one-on-one transition meeting to make sure you are best prepared for graduation and after. You’ll receive information about job search and come up with a strategy as you transition out of your final semester of law school and start making steps towards real world possibilities.
Practice Area Information
- What is a County Attorney? (video from the Minnesota County Attorneys Association)
- Minnesota State Bar Association (join the MSBA New Lawyers Section – for law students and new lawyers alike)
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Opportunities in Animal Law
- Careers and Work Experiences in Public Health in Minnesota
- Order Mitchell Hamline Student Business Cards
- Find Minnesota Justice Foundation volunteer opportunities
- Explore externships
- Explore clinics
- Read about Judicial Clerkships
- Review information about public interest fellowships
- Review information about the On-Campus Interview process (OCI)
Federal Loan Repayment:
While loan repayment can seem complicated and worrisome, we are here to help you understand your options and manage successful loan repayment. Remember that choices you make now can affect your later options. Understanding your loan details, available repayment options, and forgiveness program requirements will help you combine these resources to maximize your benefits. Read about Federal Loan Repayment.