Participate in a job shadow with an attorney or judge
Spend time shadowing an attorney or judge and learn from the experience for a half day or whole day. This can be in a variety of settings: in the courtroom, in the office at a deposition or on conference calls with clients, meeting with an attorney one-on-one to discuss what they do for their clients, etc. The job shadow program gives students a chance to experience a day-in-the-life in the legal field. Students have the opportunity to build their resumes with industry-specific experience, expand their professional network, and identify the skills necessary to succeed in the legal field.
The Ramsey County Bar Association partners with Mitchell Hamline to provide our spring and fall break job shadow programs. These programs provide an excellent opportunity for law students to get a firsthand look at what the legal world is really like outside of law school through in-person and virtual options.
While the format of each job shadow will differ, past job shadow participants have observed hearings and client meetings, toured organizations, and networked with judges and attorneys over lunch. Judges and lawyers from all sizes of firms or public agencies, prosecutors, public defenders, and corporate counsel are all welcome to host participants.
Participating students will be able to:
- Interact with professionals and learn skills needed to be successful in that occupation
- Take a behind-the-scenes look at daily work activities involved in that occupation
- Build their network with legal professionals
- Enhance their academic experience and resume
Participating employers will be able to:
- Impart to a future generation of lawyers the skills needed to be successful
- Identify students who could be candidates for your internship or externship positions
- Develop a working relationship with future attorneys