Great in theory. Even better in practice.
Mitchell Hamline School of Law provides a legal education grounded in legal theory and distinguished by exceptional practical legal training. A forward-thinking, independent law school with a history dating back more than 100 years, we have continually shaped legal education to be relevant to our students, their future clients, and the legal profession. We are committed to making legal education accessible and offer an unmatched number of enrollment options. Our students graduate prepared to put their degree into practice or use their legal training in the profession of their choice.
We live, study, and teach the law, working to make it just and accessible. We are dedicated to:
- Serving as a gateway to opportunities that enable students to further causes about which they are passionate;
- Preparing students to compete successfully for jobs that exist today while positioning them to excel in jobs yet to be created;
- Expanding access to legal knowledge throughout society, among lawyers and non‐lawyers alike;
- Providing access to high‐quality legal education for people from a wide variety of backgrounds; and
- Advancing the rule of law and justice for all.
Mitchell Hamline Strategic Plan PDF
For more than 100 years, Mitchell Hamline has been committed to experiential, practice-based learning, shaping legal education to meet the needs of our students and the legal community.
Mitchell Hamline’s board of trustees is composed of leaders in the legal profession, business, and the nonprofit sector.
The leader in blended legal education
Study part time, partially online and earn your J.D. from your hometown.
Spending just a few weeks per year on campus, students can study the law at Mitchell Hamline, and they can do it from anywhere in the world.
Awards, Rankings, and Recognition
Mitchell Hamline is nationally recognized for the quality of its practice-based legal education, inclusive campus culture, and the excellence of its professors.
We believe that diversity, in all of its forms, benefits the classroom, the law school, and the legal profession.
Affiliation with Hamline University
Mitchell Hamline is an autonomous, nonprofit institution affiliated with Hamline University, providing many benefits to students.