Mitchell Hamline is recognized for its remarkable academic programs, faculty, and student-friendly environment. Below are some of the accolades earned by the school.
- For 2022-23, Mitchell Hamline earned “top law school” designations from preLaw magazine in health law, child and family law, business law, criminal law, and tax law.
- Won Gold in Graduate/Professional Education in the Star Tribune “Minnesota’s Best” Readers’ Choice event, 2022
- Voted Best Law School and Best Non-Association Continuing Legal Education Provider by readers of Finance and Commerce and Minnesota Lawyer in 2022. Mitchell Hamline has won these two awards every year but one since 2017.
- Student Nicole van Lierop was named by National Jurist as one of 10 Law Students of the Year in March 2022, becoming the fourth Mitchell Hamline student in six years to be honored in this way.
- Students Austyn Boothe and Daniel Sheikhan won first place in the 2021 International Negotiation Competition. Briana Al Taqatqa ’18 and Brian Kennedy ’18, both students in the blended-learning enrollment option, placed first in the same competition in 2017.
- Mitchell Hamline’s dispute resolution program, anchored by the Dispute Resolution Institute, ranks in a tie for 9th in the nation, making it 22 consecutive years the program has been ranked 9th or higher. U.S. News & World Report 2023
- Other programs are ranked highly nationally as well, including health law (tied for 33rd), part-time (37th), and legal writing (tied for 39th). U.S. News & World Report 2023
- Dispute resolution, health law, legal writing, clinical training, trial advocacy, and intellectual property law were all honored with a “Best Graduate Schools” designation. U.S. News & World Report 2023
- In November 2019, Mitchell Hamline came in #3 in College Gazette’s “10 Prominent Law Schools on the Rise.” Mitchell Hamline is “perhaps the best independent law school in the country when it comes to employment,” the story said, and that the school’s clinic program makes it “truly remarkable.”
- Mitchell Hamline was one of 19 law schools whose incoming class in 2019 showed an increase in LSAT and GPA measures at the median, 25th percentile, and 75th percentile levels. (Spivey Consulting)
- Mitchell Hamline’s award-winning faculty are recognized for their teaching, scholarship, and service. Among our recent honorees: Professor Thaddeus Pope won a Fulbright Scholar Award to do research in Canada; Professor Ann Juergens won a public service award from the Minnesota State Bar Association; and Assistant Teaching Professor Ana Pottratz Acosta won an award for work with immigrants and new Americans.
- The Ramsey County Board of Commissioners awarded Mitchell Hamline and United Family Medicine a 2018 Ramsey County Public Health Award for the important work being done through their Medical-Legal Partnership.
- Mitchell Hamline’s Health Law Institute earned an “A” for Health Law by preLaw magazine in its Fall 2018 issue.
- The Warren E. Burger Library was chosen as the 2015 Best of Saint Paul Awards for Libraries.
- Mitchell Hamline is one of 10 law schools nationally to receive a 2018 Education, Diversity, and Greater Equality (EDGE) Award from the Council on Legal Education Opportunity.
- Minnesota Lawyer Magazine honored Mitchell Hamline in 2018 with a Diversity and Inclusion group award for going “above and beyond in their efforts to create a more diverse and inclusionary community.”
- The Mitchell Hamline campus ranks 21 out of 200 for “Best Law School Facilities.” preLaw magazine
- The employment rate for the class of 2019 was 94.86%, which includes alumni who were seeking and found work in all bar passage required, J.D. advantage, or professional positions, or who were pursuing an advanced degree full-time within 10 months of graduation.
- Warren E. Burger ’31—one of only seventeen people to have served as chief justice of the United States—is a graduate of Mitchell Hamline.
- Eleven of 19 Minnesota Court of Appeals judges are Mitchell Hamline graduates.
- With an alumni network that’s a powerhouse in the Upper Midwest legal community, Mitchell Hamline has more Super Lawyers in Minnesota than any other law school.
- More than half of Minnesota’s district court judges are Mitchell Hamline alumni.
- More than half of Minnesota’s county attorneys are Mitchell Hamline alumni.
- Mitchell Hamline alumni led the Ramsey County Bar Association for 10 consecutive years (2006-2016).