Mitchell Hamline is recognized for its remarkable academic programs, faculty, and student-friendly environment. Below are some of the accolades earned by Mitchell Hamline as well as its predecessor schools, Hamline University School of Law and William Mitchell College of Law.
- Briana Al Taqatqa ’18 and Brian Kennedy ’18, both students in the Hybrid J.D. program, outperformed 32 teams and 25 countries at the 2017 International Negotiation Competition for Law Students in Oslo, Norway.
- The Ramsey County Board of Commissioners awarded Mitchell Hamline and United Family Medicine a 2018 Ramsey County Public Health Award for the important work being done through their Medical-Legal Partnership.
- Mitchell Hamline is among the top law schools for practical training per National Jurist in its spring 2017 edition.
- Mitchell Hamline’s dispute resolution program, anchored by the Dispute Resolution Institute, ranks fourth in the nation, making it more than 15 consecutive years that the program has been ranked in the top five nationally. U.S. News & World Report 2019
- Mitchell Hamline’s health law program ranks 11th in the nation, making it among the best of the increasing number of health law programs at U.S. law schools. U.S. News & World Report 2019
- A top law school for teaching real-world skills, Mitchell Hamline’s clinical program is ranked 22nd in the nation and has been among the top ranked in the nation for more than a decade. U.S. News & World Report 2018
- The part-time program at Mitchell Hamline is 38th in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report 2018.
- Mitchell Hamline recent grad Shantel Thompson was honored as one of 25 Law Students of the Year from across the country by National Jurist in its spring 2017 issue.
- Mitchell Hamline’s Health Law Institute earned an “A” for Health Law by preLaw magazine in its Fall 2018 issue.
- The Warren E. Burger Library was chosen as the 2015 Best of Saint Paul Awards for Libraries.
- The Hybrid J.D. program is one of the “10 Most Promising Innovations in Legal Education.” preLaw magazine
- Professor Eric S. Janus, former president and dean of William Mitchell College of Law, has been named as one of the “25 Most Influential People in Legal Education” by The National Jurist in 2015 and 2016.
- Mitchell Hamline Professor Sarah Deer, a national leader in the effort to protect Native women from sexual abuse, was named a MacArthur Fellow in 2014. She was also named one of 20 “Leaders in Diversity” by the National Jurist, in its Fall 2015 edition, recognizing outstanding minority law professors who have gone above and beyond in furthering diversity efforts in legal education. Professor Deer received the Spirit of Excellence Award from the ABA in February 2016 for her work in promoting diversity efforts.
- Mitchell Hamline is one of 10 law schools nationally to receive a 2018 Education, Diversity, and Greater Equality (EDGE) Award from the Council on Legal Education Opportunity.
- Minnesota Lawyer Magazine honored Mitchell Hamline in 2018 with a Diversity and Inclusion group award for going “above and beyond in their efforts to create a more diverse and inclusionary community.”
- William Mitchell is one of only 48 colleges and universities in the country to receive the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award.
- A commitment to recruiting and assisting military students earned William Mitchell the distinction of being a Military-Friendly School, the only Minnesota law school to receive this designation.
- The Mitchell Hamline campus ranks 21 out of 200 for “Best Law School Facilities.” preLaw magazine
- Warren E. Burger ’31—one of only seventeen people to have served as chief justice of the United States—is a graduate of Mitchell Hamline.
- Eleven of 19 Minnesota Court of Appeals judges are Mitchell Hamline graduates.
- Hamline ranked in the top 20 law schools for careers in government in the Winter 2016 edition of preLaw magazine.
- William Mitchell ranked in the top 20 law schools for state judicial clerkships in the Winter 2016 edition of preLaw magazine.
- With an alumni network that’s a powerhouse in the Upper Midwest legal community, Mitchell Hamline has more Super Lawyers in Minnesota than any other law school.
- More than half of Minnesota’s district court judges are Mitchell Hamline alumni.
- More than half of Minnesota’s county attorneys are Mitchell Hamline alumni.
- In 2014, Hamline and William Mitchell were the top two Minnesota private law schools in an ABA report on J.D.-required employment outcomes.
- Mitchell Hamline alumni led the Ramsey County Bar Association for 10 consecutive years (2006-2016).
- In 2017, Minnesota Lawyer readers voted Mitchell Hamline the best law school, the best non-association provider of CLEs, and the best in alumni relations.