Educating you to be a successful, creative agent of conflict resolution at home and abroad
For the 19th consecutive year, Mitchell Hamline’s Dispute Resolution Institute is ranked in the top 5 dispute resolution programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
In a world drawn ever closer by globalization, yet still fractured by historical and cultural division, understanding and managing conflict is critical. Through the Dispute Resolution Institute, we teach mediation because it provides a unique perspective on mutual understanding and creative problem-solving. We teach the art of negotiation because it is central to both making and saving deals. We teach arbitration because it is the global forum of choice for business.
We offer a window into new ways of conceptualizing and delivering justice, ranging from the challenge of implementing the healing focus of restorative justice practices to the practicalities of online dispute resolution. We encourage you to actively explore questions of professional identity so you can seek the satisfaction that comes from a close connection between your work as conflict resolvers and your most deeply held values. And, we have made a commitment to explore all of these subjects and themes in international contexts out of the conviction that it is critical for you to push the boundaries of your own comfort level through deliberate exposure to different cultures and legal systems.
Dispute Resolution Institute offers rigorous academic discourse, hands-on simulation experience, and cross-disciplinary examination of conflict theory, advocacy, and problem-solving in domestic and study abroad courses to challenge you and prepare you for a bright future. We are also proud to have been affiliated with the Mediation Center since 1998.
- Born on the Battlefield | September 7, 2019Posted August 16
- CLE | Negotiating Complex Cases in the Global Business EnvironmentPosted July 16
- Mitchell Hamline students take 1st place in the ABA Regional Mediation Representation CompetitionPosted March 25
- DRI is ranked in the top 5 by U.S. News & World ReportPosted March 12
- Giuseppe De Palo speaks at the European ParliamentPosted December 12
- Willem C. Vis Moot Team Tryouts | September 11-14Posted August 15
- Applications are now being accepted for the 2019 Israel Study Abroad ProgramPosted August 13
- Sharon Press presents at 2018 International Conference on Restorative PracticesPosted August 13
- Falcon Heights project assisted by Dispute Resolution Institute honoredPosted August 8
- #Me Too and Alternative Dispute ResolutionPosted June 29
Certificates provide opportunities to broaden your conflict resolution and legal education
Our certificate programs are designed to enable you to develop your dispute knowledge and skills in an organized, thoughtful, and scholarly way, which will put you in the best possible position to deliver value to employers who recognize that evolution in conflict resolution management is critical in today’s professional environment.
- Conflict Resolution Theory and Practice: 17-credit certificate program for Mitchell Hamline J.D. students
- Conflict Resolution: 14-credit certificate program for non-Mitchell Hamline J.D. students
- Global Arbitration Law and Practice (National and Transborder Perspectives): 6-credit certificate program for law students and practicing lawyers.