Educating you to be a successful, creative agent of conflict resolution at home and abroad
For the 18th consecutive year, Mitchell Hamline’s Dispute Resolution Institute is ranked in the top 5 dispute resolution programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
In a world drawn ever closer by globalization, yet still fractured by historical and cultural division, understanding and managing conflict is critical. Through the Dispute Resolution Institute, we teach mediation because it provides a unique perspective on mutual understanding and creative problem-solving. We teach the art of negotiation because it is central to both making and saving deals. We teach arbitration because it is the global forum of choice for business.
We offer a window into new ways of conceptualizing and delivering justice, ranging from the challenge of implementing the healing focus of restorative justice practices to the practicalities of online dispute resolution. We encourage you to actively explore questions of professional identity so you can seek the satisfaction that comes from a close connection between your work as conflict resolvers and your most deeply held values. And, we have made a commitment to explore all of these subjects and themes in international contexts out of the conviction that it is critical for you to push the boundaries of your own comfort level through deliberate exposure to different cultures and legal systems.
Dispute Resolution Institute offers rigorous academic discourse, hands-on simulation experience, and cross-disciplinary examination of conflict theory, advocacy, and problem-solving in domestic and study abroad courses to challenge you and prepare you for a bright future. We are also proud to have been affiliated with the Mediation Center since 1998.
- CLE | Research Insights: Lessons Learned to Improve Decision-Making & Advocacy in NegotiationPosted April 6
- April 20: We Are All Criminals: The Impact on HousingPosted April 3
- DRI Ranks 4th in the nation!Posted March 23
- Spring 2018 ColloquiumPosted March 14
- Congratulations to the Susana Munoz and Abdisamed Awed, ICC Mediation Competition TeamPosted February 9
- DRI Press Announces New PublicationsPosted January 12
- Governor Dayton’s Proclamation for Conflict Resolution WeekPosted October 16
- DRI 2017 HighlightsPosted September 29
- Applications now being accepted for J-Term Israel Study Abroad ProgramPosted September 26
- Sharon Press interviewed about MN Legislature heading for MediationPosted September 26
Certificates provide opportunities to broaden your conflict resolution and legal education
Our certificate programs are designed to enable you to develop your dispute knowledge and skills in an organized, thoughtful and scholarly way which will put you in the best possible position to deliver value to employers who recognize that evolution in conflict resolution management is critical in today’s professional environment.
- Conflict Resolution Theory and Practice: 17-credit certificate program for Mitchell Hamline J.D. students
- Conflict Resolution: 14-credit certificate program for non-Mitchell Hamline J.D. students
- Global Arbitration Law and Practice (National and Transborder Perspectives): 6-credit certificate program for law students and practicing lawyers.
- International Business Negotiation: 6-credit certificate program for law and business students, as well as practicing lawyers and business professionals
Students may complete certificate courses during the Summer Institute and January Term, and through study abroad programs in London and Jerusalem. Mitchell Hamline J.D. students may complete those courses during fall and spring term as well.