ABA-approved opportunities to increase your skills and gain a global perspective
Studying abroad gives you the chance to experience dispute resolution in a global context, expanding your understanding and ability to work in the increasingly interconnected global environment. Of Mitchell Hamline’s study abroad offerings, two are specific to dispute resolution and maximize the expertise of the Dispute Resolution Institute.
2 credits (Students may earn a 3rd credit by submitting an additional paper on a course related topic, pre-approved by the program director.)
Offered in cooperation with the Rothberg International School at Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Conflict Resolution from Religious Traditions provides insights into the concepts and methods diverse religious communities use to resolve conflicts. You can gain a fresh perspective on the interaction of law and religion while challenging assumptions and preconceptions through this 2-credit program.
- Explore traditional dispute resolution methods such as Jewish Beth Din, Christian and Muslim courts, and Palestinian sulha
- Consider how Jewish, Christian, and Muslim religious traditions have shaped dispute resolution values and the ways in which modern methods have been adapted to the cultures within Israel to resolve the major conflicts facing Israeli society today
- Meet with individuals involved in the peacemaking process in Jerusalem
The program is open to law students who have already completed their first year of study, lawyers seeking CLE credit, members of the clergy, and divinity and other graduate students.
Offered in cooperation with the internationally recognized School of International Arbitration, part of the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary University of London (Ranked 37th in the world for law by the prestigious Times Higher Education (2018), the program provides a comprehensive global exposure to international commercial arbitration.
The Certificate in Global Arbitration Law and Practice: National and Transborder Perspectives provides you with systematic and comprehensive exposure to international commercial arbitration theories and practices, which will help you work with and represent interests of today’s global businesses.
- Taught by prominent members of the transborder arbitration bar and academic leaders
- London, home to an array of international law firms and the prestigious London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), provides unparalleled opportunities for interaction with the world’s leading commercial arbitrators and arbitration advocates
- Brings together law students and lawyers from the U.S., Europe, and Asia
- Introduction to U.S. Arbitration Law: Domestic and International Perspectives
- International Trade and Investment Dispute Settlement
- International Commercial Arbitration: Theory and Practice