Clerking for a judge is a great first step after law school because:
- Judicial clerks have a unique opportunity to observe and understand the legal process from a judge’s perspective.
- Clerks sharpen their legal skills, by researching and writing for a judge and observing lawyers engaged in litigation.
- The experience judicial clerks gain increases their confidence as practicing lawyers and increases their marketability to future employers.
- Clerks are exposed to many areas of the law, which can help them select practice areas of interest.
- The position opens doors in the legal community. Judicial clerks typically develop close relationships with their judges, who can serve as important references in the future. They also become acquainted with lawyers in that community who practice before their judges.
What is a Judicial Clerkship? – October 29, 2018
Members of the MHSL Judicial Clerkship Committee describe what a clerkship is, why you might want one, and how to prepare for the opportunity now. Presenters: Professors Joanna Woolman and Steve Aggergaard.
Watch the information session – https://mhsl.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=6433da97-a858-4ca6-8cf5-a988015936ea
Judicial Clerkship Panel – March 15, 2018
During our annual judicial clerkship panel Justice Lillehaug (Minnesota Supreme Court), Judge Johnson (Minnesota Court of Appeals), and Judge Kappelhoff (Fourth Judicial District Court) discussed their work and what they look for in a judicial law clerk.
Minnesota Supreme Court and Court of Appeals Clerkships
MN Supreme Court application deadline for 2019-2020 term – March 31, 2018
MN Court of Appeals application deadline for 2019-2020 term – July 31, 2018
Find profiles of judges on the following pages:
Fourth District Judges (serving Hennepin County)
Second District Judges (serving Ramsey County)
For more opportunities, review the resources below:
Minnesota Judicial Branch Employment Opportunities (including District Court clerkships)
Federal Judicial Clerkships
Federal law clerk recruitment website – OSCAR (Online System for Clerkship Application and Review)