Chapter 33 Benefits
Yearly Maximum tuition and fee payments from the VA
- Tuition & fee payments from the VA are capped at $21,970.46 per academic year from Aug. 1, 2016 – July 31, 2017.
- Tuition & fee payments from the VA are capped at $22,805.34 per academic year from Aug. 1, 2017 – July 31, 2018.
To apply for benefits, please visit:
Basic Allowance for Housing
The 2017-18 monthly housing allowance (MHA) amount of $1,749 is paid proportionately based on your enrollment. If you are attending school at the 1/2 time or less rate or are on active duty or the spouse of an active duty member receiving “Transferred Benefits” you will not receive any MHA. Hybrid credits are certified as resident credits so Hybrid students receive the same MHA as on campus students.
Mitchell Hamline School of Law is a VA Chapter 33/Yellow Ribbon Program Participant
Only veterans entitled to the 100% of their benefit rate or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty servicemembers and their spouses are not eligible for this program (child transferees of active duty servicemembers may be eligible if the servicemember is qualified at the 100% rate).
Therefore, you may be eligible if:
- You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months;
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001;
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above.
Mitchell Hamline offers an unlimited match on Yellow Ribbon funds. If a student has eligibility for the Yellow Ribbon program for a full semester their tuition and fees for that semester will be covered in full. There is no application required and there is no limit to the number of students this will be provided to.
In semesters when a student is receiving 100% CH 33 benefits and/or Yellow Ribbon, they would not be eligible for additional campus based aid.
VA Tuition Reimbursement Rates for Chapters 30, 33, 35 and 1606
Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) – Army National Guard
- Tuition & fees are capped at $250 a semester hour and $4,500 per year.
- Army National Guard members can use their Chapter 33 and FTA benefits concurrently.
To apply for FTA benefits, please visit:
Minnesota GI Benefits
You must be a Minnesota resident enrolled at a participating Minnesota institution who is a:
- Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in any branch of the United States armed forces at any time; or
- Non-veteran who has served honorably for a total of five years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after Sept. 11, 2001, or;
- Spouse or child of a person who has served in the military at any time on and who has died or has a total and permanent disability as a direct result of that military service. (Student must also be eligible to receive federal veterans education benefits as a spouse or dependent.)
To apply for Minnesota GI benefits visit:
For information and questions:
Nick Anderson, VA Certifying Official, Assistant Director, Financial Aid
Veterans’ Administration: 1-888-442-4551