Announcing the Summer 2021 Recruitment Program at Mitchell Hamline!
Interested finding employment or other experiential opportunities (externships, volunteer, etc.) for the upcoming school-year, Summer 2022, or after graduation? Read on for information about the upcoming Summer Recruitment Program (formerly known as On-Campus Interviews, or OCI), at Mitchell Hamline!
The Mitchell Hamline Summer Recruitment Program was formerly known as On-Campus Interviews, or OCI. All students are welcome to participate, and are encouraged to read job descriptions posted by individual employers, which set their own hiring criteria.
What is the Mitchell Hamline Recruitment Program?
The Mitchell Hamline Recruitment Program is a process by which:
- Employers post school-year, summer, and post-grad job opportunities for Mitchell Hamline students;
- Students apply to those jobs prior to a uniform deadline (the application period will open June 2 and will close July 13); and
- Employers select candidates to interview during a consolidated timeframe and coordinate those interviews through the Office of Career and Professional Development at Mitchell Hamline. This summer, interviews will take place virtually between July 26 – August 13. After this round of interviews, employers will reach out directly to candidates they wish to hire or invite for a second round of interviews.
Sounds interesting. Where can I get more information?
The Recruitment Program will be a competitive process and employers are seeking top candidates. Students interested in participating should set aside some time over the next few weeks to:
When is the Recruitment Program happening in Summer 2021?
Mark your calendar for the following key dates (available and updated on the Recruitment Program page):
Application period OPENS in Symplicity (you can view the list of participating employers prior to this; on June 2, you can begin applying!)
Student Info Session at 3-4pm CST (Virtual): Register here to receive the Zoom link
Deadline to submit resumes, cover letters, and other application materials to Career Counselors for review to ensure timely feedback before application deadline. Note you must have an approved resume and one approved cover letter in Symplicity before you can apply for any jobs in Symplicity, including those through the Recruitment Program.
July 7, 8, 12 (Times TBD):
Virtual Meet the Employers Reception: Students will have the opportunity to sign up in advance for brief, conversational meetings with participating employers throughout July 7, 8, and 12. This is a great opportunity for students to make a first impression with an employer, ask questions, and glean information from attorneys and recruiting staff prior to the application deadline. Students should plan to research employers ahead of time and dress in business attire.
July 13, 11:59pm CST:
Students accept interview invitations and sign up for timeslots on Symplicity
Interviews begin and take place through through mid-August (Virtual)
Do I need to sign up or register to participate in the Recruitment Program?
No, however you do need to log in to Symplicity and:
- Make sure your class-year is up to date. On the bottom of the left-hand side, go to “My Account” > “Academic” and change the class year as needed to reflect your class-year as of August 2021. Please note this important step. You will not be able to see the employers interviewing your class year until you make this update!
- Upload an updated, formal legal resume.
- Review participating employers, and research those that interest you. On the left-hand side of the page, click OCI > Scheduling. Employers may be added throughout mid-June, so continue to check this list often. Once you identify employers that interest you, utilize the internet to research them and try to connect with attorneys working in those organizations. Check out our Nuts & Bolts video on Researching Employers to get started!
- If you need help with Symplicity, please contact Career and Professional Development at email@example.com.
How can I make sure my application materials are in tip-top shape for the Recruitment Program?
- Attend a LIVE Student Info Session on June 2, 3-4pm CST via Zoom (Register here) and bring any questions you have.
- Familiarize yourself with the resources available on our website, including our Nuts & Bolts videos (a series of short, informational videos about a range of professional topics) and Tip Sheets. These include valuable information and insights on resumes, cover letters, writing samples, references, best practices for interviews, researching employers, and more.
- Schedule an appointment with your Career Counselor to ensure your resume, cover letter, and other application documents are top-notch, and ask any questions you may have about interviewing, employer research, or any other concerns about the Recruitment Program. You can set up an appointment with your counselor by emailing your counselor directly or contacting Career and Professional Development at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who should I contact if I have more questions about the Recruitment Program?As always, the staff of Career and Professional Development is available to provide support, advice and resources to help you. Our office will remain open throughout the summer; however, please keep in mind that Recruitment Program season is a busy time for our office and it is prudent to reach out sooner rather than later! If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your Career Counselor, or contact us at email@example.com.