Innovative curriculum grounded in theory and practice
Mitchell Hamline is proud to be the first ABA-approved law school in the country to offer a part-time, on-campus/online J.D. program—known as the HYBRID J.D.℠ program.
The first-of-its-kind program features two interrelated elements: intensive in-person experiential learning and online coursework that allows students to study the law from anywhere in the world.
Application for fall 2018 enrollment opened Oct. 1, 2017 and closes Aug. 1, 2018.
Curriculum and schedule
Mitchell Hamline is nationally recognized as a leader in teaching legal theory and real-world skills. This tradition continues with the HYBRID J.D. program. Each semester has a clear and carefully designed curricular focus and includes a skills course as the foundation, along with integrated subject-specific courses that prepare students to pass the bar exam and have successful careers. The HYBRID J.D. program takes four years to complete.
As a HYBRID J.D. program student, you will come to the Mitchell Hamline campus 10 times over the course of the program. When you’re on-campus, you’ll attend intensive skills-based classes that coincide with your doctrinal courses. You’ll also be able to work face-to-face with members of your cohort and with your professors.
You’ll take online courses for 11–12 weeks each semester. For the most part, the online courses are asynchronous, and you can study at your own schedule. Each week you will complete assignments and participate in online discussions. Each course ends with an exam, final paper, or final project.
Learn more about the HYBRID J.D. program
Students and faculty describe their experiences in this distinct program.
Meet HYBRID J.D. students and faculty.
The program uses the best in educational technology to teach students foundational doctrine and skills through interactive, online coursework, including:
- Pre-recorded lectures
- Moderated discussion forums
- Live chat
- Video analysis of students practicing skills, including oral arguments, client interviewing and counseling, and negotiations.
You’ll need a powerful computer and fast, reliable Internet access.
How to apply
Applications for the HYBRID J.D. program are accepted year round for fall enrollment. Early application is strongly encouraged as there are a limited number of seats available for the HYBRID J.D. program.
HYBRID J.D. program facts and figures
- Tuition for the HYBRID J.D. program is the same as tuition for our on-campus, part-time program.
- Scholarships are awarded based upon a variety of factors, including previous academic excellence, professional experience, service and leadership experience, personal experience, and interest in specific areas of law.
- Admissions counselors can discuss scholarships you may be eligible to receive. Contact us today to discuss your options.
Frequently asked questions
Find the answers to all your HYBRID J.D. program questions.