Emeritus Professor of Law
Professor Joseph Daly was named emeritus professor in May 2013. He is active in public education about the law and regularly contributes articles to the ABA’s Update on Law-Related Education. He has coauthored two books used in Minnesota high schools.
B.A., University of Minnesota
J.D., William Mitchell College of Law
Areas of legal expertise: Arbitration (national & international), insurance, labor, ethics, and criminal law.
Daly is a labor arbitrator for the U.S. Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, and the Minnesota Bureau of Mediation Services. He also arbitrates for a number of other states, including Hawaii, Wisconsin, and Michigan, and the City of Los Angeles, as well as the Virgin Islands. Daly is also an international arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association. He previews U.S. Supreme Court cases in school law for the ABA.
Daly was chosen by the International Bar Association (London) as “Lecturer to Developing Countries for 1991-92.” He has lectured in the Philippines, Poland, Hungary, Albania, and Czechoslovakia and was invited by the Vietnamese government to help ready them for a market society. His topic, “Legal Structures for a Market System,” is especially valued in developing countries. In 1996 and in 1999, he taught in Shenzhen, China, Hong Kong, and Vietnam. He also was an ADR Fulbright Scholar at the University of Montevideo, Uruguay, in 2004-06. Daly joined Hamline Law’s faculty after five years as a partner in the Minneapolis law firm of Franke and Daly.
- Arbitrating cases around the United States for the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
- Mediator, arbitrator, and partner with Value Solve ADR, which provides court-ordered mediation and arbitration services in Minnesota and other states
- Arbitrator for the state of Minnesota Bureau of Mediation Services
- Arbitrator for the state of Oregon
- Visiting professor of law at the University of Montevideo, Uruguay, in November 2017. Teaching a course called “Resolving International Commercial Disputes by Arbitration: Theory and Practice”
- Visiting Slovenia and Croatia in October
- Representing St. Albert the Great Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis bankruptcy matter
- Occasionally lecturing at Mitchell Hamline
- Occasionally commenting on cases for local TV stations and the Star Tribune newspaper