Referee Madden of Family Court in the Fourth Judicial District Court in Minneapolis is currently seeking a qualified individual to fill a Law Clerk position. The referee is seeking a candidate as soon as possible.
The work of a law clerk involves assisting in managing a substantial caseload, including preparing cases for hearings, attending hearings, conducting legal research, drafting orders, communicating with attorneys and the self-represented litigants, accurately updating MNCIS (Minnesota’s Court Information System) on the status of cases, and related administrative work.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.
• Review, study, research and annotate laws, court decisions, documents, opinions, briefs, and related legal authorities
• Compile references on laws and decisions necessary for legal determinations
• Confer with the court concerning legal questions, construction of documents and granting of orders
• Attend court sessions to hear oral arguments and record necessary case information; maintain records attendant to court proceedings
• Courtroom duties, including, taking court minutes; and assisting in various court proceedings such as Initial Case Management Conferences, motion hearings, review hearings, pre-trials and trials
• Administrative duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience:
• Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school.
• Family law/court experience a plus.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• An interest in family law, including cases involving divorce, paternity, custody and parenting time, third party custody and/or domestic abuse
• Knowledge of general law, state law, established precedent and sources of legal reference
• Knowledge of court practices and procedures
• Knowledge of legal terminology and concepts
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
• Ability to research complex legal problems or questions and apply legal principles
• Ability to work in an inclusive, multicultural environment that values diversity and relationships
• Ability to professionally exhibit cultural sensitivity, patience, and understanding in the course of work duties
• Ability to represent the court in a respectful manner
• Skill in the operation of a personal computer with word processing and legal research software
Please attach to your application the following materials:
• List of references
• Writing sample
• Cover letter
SYMPLICITY JOB ID# 19798
If you have any questions regarding the posting, please contact Alison Kennedy, Human Resources Generalist, at Alison.Kennedy@courts.state.mn.us.
Application materials may be directed to Referee Madden’s chambers at 4thRefereeMaddenChambers@courts.state.mn.us.
THE DEADLINE TO APPLY IS AUGUST 8, 2021.
Candidates selected to interview will be notified by Referee Madden or her staff.
The Minnesota Judicial Branch (MJB) is committed to providing fair and equal access to justice. If you share this same commitment, desire a meaningful career serving the public, and want the opportunity to make a difference for your community, consider a career with us. We celebrate and are committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and actively seek and encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and characteristics. Minnesota Judicial Branch employees consistently express pride in their public service and in the quality of programs and services provided to customers, as well as appreciation for the teamwork and collaboration that is promoted within the MJB.
All employment offers are contingent upon satisfactory results of a criminal background check. An employment offer may be rescinded if the background check identifies job related convictions.