Designed for Mitchell Hamline J.D. students to become effective leaders in health law.
This program is designed for Mitchell Hamline J.D. students interested in developing core-competencies in the growing field of health care compliance. The certificate courses will prepare you to skillfully lead a health care organization through the complex maze of government laws and regulations and champion an ethical corporate culture.
Certificate students will learn from full-time faculty, as well as industry professionals, effectively linking Mitchell Hamline’s strong academic learning environment with the real world of health care compliance.
Successful completion of our CCB accredited program will allow students to take the CHC exam and obtain an additional credential which will serve as a competitive advantage when seeking employment opportunities.
Health Care Compliance Certificate Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the program will:
- Develop an understanding of state and federal health care laws and regulations.
- Analyze and apply these rules and regulations through a variety of simulation-based assessments.
- Engage, challenge, and communicate with faculty and fellow students to gain an appreciation for alternative views and perspectives.
- Work collaboratively with other students through team projects intended to develop creative problem-solving skills through the application of program content to scenario-based training exercises.
- Hone communication skills through class presentations and writing projects.
- Practice “soft skills” including listening, influence without authority, empathy, leadership, and negotiation
All qualified program graduates are encouraged to take the Compliance Certification Board’s (CCB) Certified in Health Care Compliance Exam. Mitchell Hamline is one of only 11 law schools accredited by the CCB. Certified in Healthcare Compliance Examination (PDF)
- Graduates of our program have access to Mitchell Hamline’s proprietary CHC Exam Toolkit featuring tips from our alumni. Click here to read our publication: Health Care Compliance and the CHC Credential.
JD Health Care Compliance Certificate*
The HCCC for J.D. students is comprised of 11-14 credits. All these credits count towards your J.D. degree, and many concurrently satisfy other J.D. requirements. To receive your certificate upon graduation, J.D. students are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher in the program’s curriculum listed below:
- Health Care Compliance Institute (3 credits)
- Health Care Compliance Skills (3 credits)
- Health Care Compliance Governance and Ethics (2 credits)
- Must complete either option:
- Option 1: Health Care Compliance Laws and Regulations (3 credits)
- Option 2: Health Law: Organization and Finance (3 credits) AND Health Law Quality and Liability (3 credits) OR HIPAA Privacy (2 credits)
*It is recommended that students complete their Health Care Compliance Certificate during their 2L year at Mitchell Hamline.
Notice of Intent
Students are encouraged to apply early in their law school tenure. Declaring an intent to pursue a Health Law or Health Care Compliance Certificate creates no obligation to complete one. It does, however, provide students access to a health law advisor who can assist with curricular decisions and experiential learning opportunities. Students are strongly encouraged to meet with their advisor at least annually to ensure they are meeting all necessary certificate requirements.
Mitchell Hamline J.D. students have the unique opportunity to earn both the Health Law Certificate and the Health Care Compliance Certificate concurrently without compromising access to important fundamental courses including those heavily tested on the bar exam.Notice of Intent Form
Each student graduating with the Health Care Compliance Certificate and/or the Health Law Certificate must complete their requirements checklist prior to graduation.Requirements Checklist