Registration for J-Term 2020 will open November 7. Your personal registration day and time based on credits earned will be posted on the Demographics page of your Student Account.
Some things to know before registering for J-Term:
- The last day to add or drop J-Term courses online is December 15, 2019.
- After December 15, students may still drop until the start of the course by completing a Request to Add/Withdraw Classes form and submitting it to the Office of the Registrar. Students who drop after December 15 and before the start of class will incur a $150 per credit penalty.
- Students may add until the start of the course using an Add/Withdraw form, space permitting, and if the student could reasonably complete any first-day assignments by the start of the course.
- Please note that the Add/Withdraw request will not override holds, time conflicts, or credit maximums. Be sure you are able to take the course before submitting the form. Even if you add a class after December 15, you will owe the drop fee if you drop it.
- Students may not drop or add after the start of the course.
- Students who withdraw after the start of the course will owe full tuition.
Due to ABA standards and federal credit hour regulations: during J-Term, students may register for no more than 3 credits. Students who exceed this limit will be dropped from all courses.
The ABA restriction that students may not enroll in online courses until that student has completed 28 credit hours toward the J.D. degree has been lifted. You may register for online courses even if you have not completed 28 credits. You may not count more than 27 online credits toward your JD.
Spring 2020 Registration
Registration for Spring 2020 will open November 7. Hybrid and EJD students may register for online and Hybrid electives only beginning at 10 a.m. November 1, see your email for details.
Add/Drop deadlines for Spring 2020 are
- January 27 for Day/Evening courses
- January 24 for Blended Weekend courses
- January 18 for Hybrid courses (This includes online elective courses offered through the Hybrid program, and applies to all students–even on-campus students–enrolled in Hybrid program courses)
- January 25 for Executive JD courses
- Clinics, externships, and some other skills courses have an earlier drop deadline of January 11. Please see notes on course listings.
Pay attention to the term dates! Day/Evening, Weekend, Blended Weekend, Hybrid, and EJD have different term dates. If you register across enrollment options, your courses will have different semester starts and your classes may begin several days apart. You must comply with the add/drop deadline for each course you register for.
Preparation for Registration
- Online Registration Instructions
- Tuition Refund Schedule
- Pathways to the Profession of Law™
- Field Placement Opportunities
- Academic Calendars (for term start and end dates)
- JD Requirements
- 2017-2018 Course Frequency Plan-Required and Bar Courses (PDF)
Registering for classes
Wait list information
If you are placed on a wait list for a course, you will receive an email when a seat becomes available. To accept the seat, you will need to do the following:
- Drop any courses, if necessary, which create a time conflict with the course you are being offered a seat in,
- If you registered for an alternate section of the course you’d like to add, you must drop the alternate section first,
- Ensure you will not be registered for more than the maximum credits allowed per semester (3 credits in the J-term, 10 credits in summer, and 15 credits in the fall or spring semester) by accepting the offered seat,
- Verify you’ve met any applicable pre-requisites,
- Accept the seat by reply to the notification email before the date and time specified in the email.
- If you fail to reply before the deadline in the email, your place on the wait list will be forfeited and the available seat will be offered to the next student on the wait list. The course will be removed from your schedule, and will no longer be visible in your My Schedule page.
Specific course instructions
Register or wait list for clinics and externships during online registration. If a clinic or externship is offered for different credit levels , select the desired credits from the drop-down menu and Add the course. If the course is full, you may add your name to the wait list by clicking on the Wait list button. If a clinic or externship does not permit online registration, follow the instructions in the notes column to add the course.
Registration-Add/Drop policies for current students are in the Law School Catalog.
Need Help Registering?
Check out our FAQ page
Mitchell Hamline School of Law is registered with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to Minnesota Statures sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.