Update, March 17, 2020
As previously announced, Mitchell Hamline School of Law has suspended in-person classes through April 3 and is teaching online beginning Wednesday, March 18.
We plan to post updates here that are relevant to the general campus community as well as the community at large.
Specific information for particular groups is being sent by separate communications, and additional resources for questions and information are listed at the bottom of this page.
Warren E. Burger Library closes to public and reduces hours
Starting on March 17, the Mitchell Hamline library will be closing to public access and reducing hours to the schedule below. Students, faculty, and staff can access the library with their Mitchell Hamline ID card. These new hours could change at any time as circumstances evolve and will be reviewed periodically. As of now, reduced hours are in effect through April 3. Please see our Remote Access to Library Resources guide for current information.
Temporary reduced hours effective March 17, 2020
Monday–Friday 7:30 am–9 pm
Saturday–Sunday 9 am–6 pm
Reference Service available by email, walk-in, chat, or Zoom
Monday–Friday 10 am–6 pm
Saturday 11 am–4 pm
The Mitchell Hamline bookstore will be online only starting Monday, March 23
The physical store will be open through this week, with these hours:
Monday–Thursday 10 am–3 pm
Friday 10 am–2 pm
The CDC released guidance March 15 saying all events involving 50 or more people for the next 8 weeks should not be held. The White House on Monday afternoon went further, recommending people avoid gatherings of more than 10 people. This has affected our plans in several ways.
Events that have either been canceled or postponed
March 20–23 Admitted Students Day
March 26 Cobin Conversation
March 26 Barristers’ Ball
March 26 Cesar Chavez celebration event
March 27 Law Review Banquet
March 30 LSAT exam
April 7 Women in Law event
April 14 First Amendment Scholars Program
April 16 Energy conference
Updates on additional events will be posted, and information about rescheduling events and/or providing alternate content will be forthcoming as appropriate.
Health status reporting
If you learn that you or someone close to you has been diagnosed with COVID-19, or that you or someone close to you has been exposed to a person who has COVID-19 or to a person from an area experiencing an outbreak of COVID-19, please notify a school official. Faculty and staff should notify Human Resources Director Andrea Bien, firstname.lastname@example.org. Students should notify Dean of Students Lynn Lemoine, email@example.com. We respect the privacy of our faculty, staff, and students. The information gathered will be used in the event that we have a confirmed case reported by a member of our community. The sharing of information will be limited to those individuals that have a business need to know and would include the Minnesota State Health Department.
Working from home
Mitchell Hamline has added VPN licenses and now has enough for every employee to work from home. To avoid slowing down the system, please do not log in to VPN for things such as accessing work email, editing in WordPress, etc. These do not require VPN.
The big reasons to use VPN are to access files on the G: or H: drive and to access Agresso.
FYI: To save bandwidth, all on-campus access to high-traffic streaming services will be shut down except for educational purposes.
Registration for summer classes is postponed for one week, from March 19 to March 26.
For current health-related information, we encourage you to visit the World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Minnesota Department of Health websites. We will also update school information on the website.
Contacts for questions
- On-campus students: student.services @mitchellhamline.edu
- Blended-learning students: blendedlearning @mitchellhamline.edu
- Employees should contact their manager or Andrea.Bien @mitchellhamline.edu
- Media: Doug.Belden @mitchellhamline.edu
- Students can find additional information on the Docket, and faculty and staff on the Summit
- Moving your class online for faculty
- Accessibility resources for online learning
- Mitchell Hamline will remain entirely online in spring 2021Posted October 20
- Mitchell Hamline to teach completely online in the fallPosted July 27
- Mitchell Hamline’s Burger Library to reopen for students, faculty, staff on Monday, July 13Posted July 9
- Through COVID-19 and Floyd crises, alum stays focused on community servicePosted June 17
- New health protocols for campus take effect June 15Posted June 12
- Building restrictions remain in place until further noticePosted May 15
- Mitchell Hamline extends building restrictions to May 18Posted May 1
- You’ve asked: How can we help during pandemic? Here are some waysPosted April 30
- Mitchell Hamline extends building restrictions to May 4Posted April 9
- Mitchell Hamline alumni offering discounted services during COVID-19Posted April 2