With all course instruction now shifted to online for the spring semester, Mitchell Hamline is beginning to plan for summer courses and beyond.
Summer: The updated summer schedule should be available on the Registrar’s website soon. Summer registration is scheduled to begin on Monday, March 30.
Fall: Given the many unknowns about the spread of the virus, fall registration will be delayed. The school anticipates opening fall registration sometime after the spring finals period has ended.
Grading and exams
The Academic and Student Affairs Committee is reviewing possible changes to the spring semester 2020 grading policies and will make a recommendation to the faculty. To date, more than 800 students have submitted responses to a survey about these potential changes.
Moving the rest of the semester online presents challenges for exams that were anticipated to be scheduled or self-scheduled on campus. The school is working with faculty to make adjustments to those final exams and will communicate more about the structure of final exams as soon as possible. PLEASE NOTE: The final exam period has not changed from the schedule posted in the academic calendar.
Counseling Services is now operating remotely using telehealth sessions. Students who would like to speak to someone on a confidential basis may click on an available appointment through the Counseling Services webpage (click on the name of the counselor to see their availability). For more urgent needs, students may contact Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers at any time at 651-646-5590 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digital wellness tips
With everyone spending so much time online these days, here are some tips offered by Student Services:
- Take breaks, even if you don’t feel like taking a break – your brain needs them. Set timers for work time and downtime.
- Take breaks from looking at the screen – adjust your focus to something further away. Look out a window if you can.
- Remember to keep a routine, get ready each day, and create a ritual to start your day by setting intentions and making a plan. Pay attention to your feelings and needs, practice good communication and plan for good sleep, mindfulness and nutrition, just like you would if you were coming to campus.
- Be intentional about the type and amount of content you consume. It is important to stay informed but not necessary to be constantly informed.
- Be realistic about your expectations for yourself and your work. Have some self-compassion when you can’t do everything perfectly, or even as well as you had hoped.
Health status reporting
If you learn that you or someone close to you has been diagnosed with COVID-19, or that you or someone close to you has been exposed to a person who has COVID-19 or to a person from an area experiencing an outbreak of COVID-19, please notify a school official. Faculty and staff should notify Human Resources Director Andrea Bien, email@example.com. Students should notify Dean of Students Lynn Lemoine, firstname.lastname@example.org. We respect the privacy of our faculty, staff, and students. The information gathered will be used in the event that we have a confirmed case reported by a member of our community. The sharing of information will be limited to those individuals that have a business need to know and would include the Minnesota State Health Department.
For current health-related information, we encourage you to visit the World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Minnesota Department of Health websites. We will also update school information on the website.
Contacts for questions
- On-campus students: student.services @mitchellhamline.edu
- Blended-learning students: blendedlearning @mitchellhamline.edu
- Employees should contact their manager or Andrea.Bien @mitchellhamline.edu
- Media: Doug.Belden @mitchellhamline.edu
- Students can find additional information on the Docket, and faculty and staff on the Summit
- Moving your class online for faculty
- Accessibility resources for online learning
- Mitchell Hamline to teach completely online in the fallPosted July 27
- Mitchell Hamline’s Burger Library to reopen for students, faculty, staff on Monday, July 13Posted July 9
- Through COVID-19 and Floyd crises, alum stays focused on community servicePosted June 17
- New health protocols for campus take effect June 15Posted June 12
- Building restrictions remain in place until further noticePosted May 15
- Mitchell Hamline extends building restrictions to May 18Posted May 1
- You’ve asked: How can we help during pandemic? Here are some waysPosted April 30
- Mitchell Hamline extends building restrictions to May 4Posted April 9
- Mitchell Hamline alumni offering discounted services during COVID-19Posted April 2
- Students have pass/fail option for spring semesterPosted March 27